Etna Rosso Nero di Sei 2019 Palmento Costanzo 75 cl bottle is a wine produced by Palmento Costanzo, in Sicily, in Contrada Passopisciaro in the Etna Valley. The millstone of Etna was rebuilt and restored by the Costanzo family in 2011, which therefore becomes today’s Palmento Costanzo, very similar to the original, which has existed since the 19th century in Sicily as a place of wine production. As part of the renovation, 4 egg-shaped wooden containers were inserted, which with their shape allow a natural and continuous pumping over of the wine allowing the fine lees to remain constantly in suspension and therefore refine the wines in a genuine and natural way. The goal of Mimmo Costanzo, an entrepreneur from Catania, and his family is to enhance the production of Etna wines in the world; the manual selection of the grapes and the modern winemaking techniques combined with the microclimate and volcanic soils that only the proximity to the highest active volcano in Europe can give, allows for the creation of extraordinarily complex wines capable of exciting. The attention to detail of the Costanzo family means that these wines are endowed with another peculiarity: to demonstrate the indissoluble bond of the wine to its area of origin, the wines have the black volcanic sand of Etna embossed on their labels.
Nerello Mascalese 80%
Nerello Cappuccino 20%
The vine training system used is typical of Etna, i.e. sapling supported by chestnut poles; the soils are composed of 60-70% black volcanic sand and the remaining 30% of stones, an element capable of giving great structure and minerality to the final product. Another element is the high altitude of the vines of 680-750 m a.s.l. this element alone is able to allow high temperature ranges and therefore guarantee the aroma of the final wine. The peculiarity of this product is that the grapes used come from vineyards that have an age ranging from a minimum of 30 years up to 100 and more years, an element capable of giving an extraordinary complexity to the product. The harvest is manual and takes place around the second ten days of October. The grapes ferment in French oak truncated cone containers, macerating for about 14 days in contact with the skins. At the end of the alcoholic fermentation, the wine also carries out the malolactic one. Subsequently the product ages in French oak barrels for 24 months and for another 12 in the bottle.
Intriguing and intense ruby red color, with some garnet nuances. On the nose notes of ripe red fruit such as dried plum, blackcurrant, blueberry, mulberry and blackberry jam. Notes of volcanic and sulphurous minerals, leather, peppermint and eucalyptus, closed by spicier notes of almond, vanilla, chocolate and licorice. Also in the mouth it is characterized by an extraordinary elegance and succession of sensations: soft and velvety, warm and powerful, closed by a strong and persistent minerality, good acidity and elegant tannins. The finish is very long and with saline and spicy sensations.
Etna Rosso DOC “Nero di Sei” is a complex red wine, deep and of good substance capable of exciting. The very old age of the vineyards of origin and the vinification, combined with the volcanic soils of Etna, give this wine sensations that are out of the ordinary. It is a candidate to be a perfect meditation wine, to be understood in all its nuances, especially for lovers of the genre; or, if desired, it goes perfectly with red meat or game dishes cooked for a long time and particularly tasty/spicy such as braised meats, guinea fowl, stewed wild boar, stews, aged cheeses or steak with traditional Modena balsamic vinegar.